ING New York City Marathon
Olympic 2008 Champion & Shoe4Africa Ambassador Sammy Wanjiru
We need YOUR help! Yes you. This is not a 'big' charity that has a paid staff; this is a small band of runners making a big difference.
Want to run in New York City? We have limited charity entries to both the prestigious Marathon and its little brother, the Half, events.
Please email for availability [see below]. Signing up on this web site is 100% not an entry to any event!
ALL LEVELS OF RUNNERS ARE WELCOME - FROM BEGINNERS* WHO HAVE NEVER RUN A SINGLE RACE BEFORE TO FAST RUNNERS!
Our team in the half... with actors Hugh Jackman, Anthony Edwards, Tom Cavanagh & James Legros
Our charity team is the one to run with for the following "top 10" reasons:
10. Chance to run for making change - use your running to make a big difference in Africa. It will make your 26.2/13.1-miles fly by! We are so lucky, we have had such great people get involved.
Meet Chris-- "Running the NY marathon for Shoe4Africa has to go down as the best NY experience I have had (and I have lived here 7-yrs). Meeting you, Goose, Liz McColgan all added to a great weekend. I had never done more than 8 miles until March 2010 so completing my first marathon was an awesome experience." Chris Blackhall
9. 100% of your hard earned dollar goes to the project in Kenya. Most charities have huge overheads that will eat into your hard earned donations. Not us!
8. Weekly email to keep you posted on the latest and greatest events, training schedules, and network with other team members. Plus online training help when you need it.
This year we ran in coolmax lime-green hospital scrubs - here we are at mile six, 20 to go!
7. Support for your fundraising including a dynamic website you can use to help solicit contributions (SSL Secure, accepts both dollars, and sterling for those overseas funds!). You will be automatically notified upon each donation made to you by email and the donor receives an automatic thank you tax receuipt letters
6. Because we are such a small "hands up" charity you will get to meet everyone involved in our team, thus your sense of purpose & belonging is heightened. And any time you take a holiday in Kenya...
5. Pre-marathon party in NYC at the house of "Anthony Edwards/Goose" (Hey, Natalie Portman was at our first ever pasta dinner, at the 2011 event Geoffrey Mutai came and ate with our team before winning the race in a new course record!)
4. Awesome exclusive Nike dri-fit team shirts that will help you stand out from the rest of the 47,000+ runners, and fund raising prizes/ incentives
3. Opportunity to have coaching from world leading expert, Toby Tanser, author of the book More Fire, and best seller Train Hard, Win Easy..... and The Essential Guide to Running the New York City Marathon (of course)
2. Join celebrity runners (runners have included; Anthony Edwards, Hugh Jackman, Sarah Jones, Tom Cavanagh, James Legros and former winners Liz McColgan, German Silva, and Tegla Leroupe)
AND OF COURSE:
1. Your funds will be going right to the heart of helping our projects in Africa (we are yet to spend any money on glossy brochures or snappy video presentations). Over in Africa we are continually changing lives with Health, Education, and Peace Resolutions. What exactly do we do? Wow; check out the youtube videos! Lots.
Your funds will put bricks in the very first children's public hospital in East Africa!
Your run will make the difference for hundreds of thousands of needy kids.
Team members are expected to raise a minimum of $3,000 USD* in accordance to the www.nyrr.org rules for a Bronze level Charity group (Shoe 4 Africa). Shoe 4 Africa is a 501c3 organization and all contributions are fully deductible. Contributions can be made via either check or credit card on your own personal site. (*for the marathon, $1K for the half).
If you have a guaranteed entry to the race and just want to raise funds for us we would really appreciate that, send an email for details of a low minimum to get on our team.
If you have additional questions on the team or want to confirm that you would like to sign up as a runner, please email:
Toby Tanser (email@example.com) PS: I have guided thousands of runners to their first marathon and have been the national coach for other charity teams, storms pending I will get you to the finish line. Thank you for taking an interest in Shoe4Africa.