- What is Team Shoe4Africa/ Shoe 4 Africa?
- What kind of training does Team Shoe4Africa provide?
- What’s involved in the Team Shoe4Africa race experience?
- How can I be part of Shoe4Africa?
- How can I achieve these goals?
- Will I be able to finish a full marathon?
- How long is the training period?
- How do I begin?
What is Team Shoe4Africa/ Shoe 4 Africa?
Team Shoe4Africa is a group of dedicated runners and fundraisers who will be doing the NYC marathon in November, 2010 to raise money to support Shoe 4 Africa, an organization founded in 1995 by Toby Tanser, which started with volunteers collecting lightly used running shoes and distributing them in Africa. The charity’s latest project is to build the largest and only public children’s hospital in Sub Saharan Africa, which is critically needed with high rates of mortality in the area.
For more information on Shoe4Africa, the Shoe4Africa website at www.shoe4africa.org.
What kind of training does Team Shoe4Africa provide?
Toby Tanser will be providing a training program that will get you ready to complete the NYC Marathon. With weekly emails, Toby, the official team coach, inspires runners to achieve their personal bests through interactive online coaching, weekly training tips, and answers to your questions.
- Guaranteed entry for 30 participants
- A dynamic website for fundraising that you can personalize
- Amazing team members and the opportunity to meet diverse people who all share your passion for running
- Facebook group to stay connected
- Super cool parties pre and post the marathon in NYC, including pasta party at “Goose”’s/ Anthony Edwards apartment in NYC
- Awesome team tee shirt that will help you stand out from the rest of the 43000+ runners
- Celebrity runners including former winners Tegla Loroupe, German Silva and Liz McColgan have ran for us. A top Kenyan world champion salted to make an appearance at our pasta party!
- Opportunity for coaching from Toby Tanser, world leading expert and author of the book “More Fire” and the best seller “Train Hard Win Easy”
- Helping to build the largest children’s hospital in Kenya
How can I be part of Shoe4Africa?
Team Shoe4Africa participants that need guaranteed entry commit to raising a minimum of $2,500. There are special rates for certain fund raisers who have their own slot for the NY marathon, (raise $1,000).
How can I achieve these goals?
Even if you've never raised money before, our materials and strategies will make it easy to solicit and collect pledges from friends, family, colleagues, neighbors, and others.
We will provide you with materials and suggestions that simplify the process and enhance your chances of reaching your personal goal for the race. You'll have the benefit of our proven strategies for reaching potential donors as well as access to the Team Shoe4Africa website for online contributions. You’ll have your own web page where your contacts can track your progress and make donations.
Experience has shown that it is not only possible, but easy to reach this goal. Shoe4Africa is an amazing organization, and our runners have reported that people were eager to give when they learned about it. You will be surprised how friends, family, and co-workers will respond to your effort to run/walk a half or full marathon to help this wonderful cause.
Team Shoe4Africa will be with you every step of the way to help you reach your goal!
Will I be able to finish a full marathon?
Absolutely! One of team’s training programs is geared towards the novice runner. The combination of the training program, online coaching, support network, and the motivation to raise money for a good cause is the perfect recipe for success.