Olympic 2008 Champion & Shoe4Africa Ambassador Sammy Wanjiru
Want to run in New York City? We have limited charity entries to both the prestigious Marathon and its little brother, the Half, events - but please email for availability [see below]. Signing up on this web site is 100% not an entry to any event!
ALL LEVELS OF RUNNERS ARE WELCOME - FROM BEGINNERS WHO HAVE NEVER RUN A SINGLE RACE BEFORE TO FAST RUNNERS!
Our charity team is the one to run with for the following "top 10" reasons:
10. Chance to run for something better - use your running to make a big difference in Africa. It will make your 26.2/13.1-miles fly by! We are so lucky, we have had such great people get involved.. Meet Chris-- "Running the NY marathon for Shoe4Africa has to go down as the best NY experience I have had (and I have lived here 7-yrs). Meeting you, Goose, Liz McColgan all added to a great weekend. I had never done more than 8 miles until March 2010 so completing my first marathon was an awesome experience." Chris Blackhall
9. Guaranteed entry for those that do not make it into the NYC marathon lottery; a way to avoid the 9 race plus volunteer work route
8. Weekly email to keep you posted on the latest and greatest events, training schedules, and network with other team members
7. Support for your fundraising including a dynamic website you can use to help solicit contributions (SSL Secure, accepts both dollars, and sterling for those overseas funds!). You will be automatically notified upon each donation made to you by email.
6. Because we are such a small "hands up" charity you will get to meet everyone involved in our team, thus your sense of purpose & belonging is heightened.
5. Pre-marathon party in NYC at the house of "Goose" (Hey, Natalie Portman was at our first ever pasta dinner, at the 2011 event Geoffrey Mutai came and ate with our team before winning the race in a new course record!)
4. Awesome exclusive Nike dri-fit team shirts that will help you stand out from the rest of the 47,000+ runners, and fund raising prizes/ incentives
3. Opportunity to have coaching from world leading expert, Toby Tanser, author of the book More Fire, and best seller Train Hard, Win Easy..... and The Essential Guide to Running the New York City Marathon (of course)
2. Join celebrity runners (runners have included; Anthony Edwards, Hugh Jackman, Sarah Jones, Tom Cavanagh, James Legros and former winners Liz McColgan, German Silva, and Tegla Leroupe)
AND OF COURSE:
1. Your funds will be going right to the heart of helping our projects in Africa (we are yet to spend any money on glossy brochures or snappy video presentations). Over in Africa we are continually changing lives with Health, Education, and Peace Resolutions. What exactly do we do? Wow; check out the youtube videos! Lots.
Team members are expected to raise a minimum of $3,000 USD* in accordance to the www.nyrr.org rules for a Bronze level Charity group (Shoe 4 Africa). Shoe 4 Africa is a 501c3 organizations and all contributions are fully deductible with 100% of the proceeds going to the hospital. Contributions can be made via either check or credit card on your own personal site. (*for the marathon, $1K for the half).
If you have an entry to the race and just want to raise funds for us we would really appreciate that, send us an email for details of a low minimum to get on our team.
Feel free to do a google search on Shoe4Africa - check us out.
Toby Tanser (firstname.lastname@example.org)